Here is a hearty soup that is easy to prepare and features a unique and delicious taste. Serve with a grain and you have a great protein rich meal.
It serves 10.
- 2 cups dry Pinto Beans
- 6 cups Water or Soup Stock
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil (preferably cold pressed)
- 2 large Onions (chopped)
- 4 Garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper, just grind some in fresh
- 6 more cups Soup Stock or Water
- 2 – 3 Tbs Tamari or Braggs Liquid
- 2 Tbs Butter
- 4 inch strip Seaweed
- Hot Sauce – Sour Cream – Salsa
- Cook 2 cups of pinto beans in 6 cups of water for 1-1/2 hours (until soft).
- Mash most of the beans with a stick blender or potato masher
- In a saucepan saute chopped onions in olive oil for 10 min.
- Add crushed garlic, salt and pepper; cook another five minutes.
- Add onion/garlic mix to the mashed beans.
- Add soup stock or water to reach your preferred consistency.
- Add tamari and butter (optional hot sauce to taste).
- Simmer 20 minutes to melt butter and blend flavours, stirring frequently or it will stick!
This soup is very Mexican so serve with salsa and sour cream… Yummmmm.